If you’re looking for a truly unique and breathtaking venue for your wedding….a venue that “all your friends and family haven’t been to hundreds of times already” then Hempstead House on the Sands Point Preserve in Port Washington may be a perfect match.
Only 30 minutes out of NYC, this little know Gold Coast Estate is one of my MOST FAVORITE venues to share with clients who are looking for Unique, Private, Indoor-Outdoor option and Views of the Water.
This venue has A LOT of Pro’s:
• Its close enough to the city that busing guests is a viable (and generous) option
• Sprawling grounds make for a beautiful entrance on to the property but also for fabulous photos throughout your big day.
• A huge manicured lawn with sweeping views of the Long Island Sound give you an outdoor ceremony and or cocktail hour option but also tenting area if needed.
• Amazing architectural details.
• Gorgeous and spacious rooms for lots of different party configurations
• A wonderful staff of people on the property who make it a pleasure to work with
• The ability to bring in your chosen caterer
• A breathtaking (clean palate) which makes it a perfect foundation to create a multitude of wedding styles!
A few Cons:
The space is NOT HUGE so based on your expected guest list the smart decision may be to add a tent to your plan to make transitions from ceremony to cocktail hour to reception as smooth as possible.
There are two spaces where the dance floor makes the most sense but both have small obstacles. A sunken floor with a fountain and an area with a fireplace cutting the room in half could be obstacles or can be beautiful elements its all how you look at it.
Keep in mind, this an OLD ESTATE and while it has been updated and very well maintained by the preserve it is a historic building and so it is drafty and cool in fall and winter months and certainly can be warm in the summer. Heaters, Air Conditioners and a Generator are all definites to add into the budget. A restroom would also be advised for outside ceremony and cocktail hour because of where the bathrooms are located inside.
All in all I cannot say enough wonderful things about this venue! Gorgeous, Vast, Elegant without being Stuffy, Traditional but Timeless.
Take a look at our photo gallery and the creative board of how we were inspired to produce our Great Gatsby Wedding at Hempstead House and keep your eyes out for our ‘Sleepy Hallow’ HALLOWEEN Wedding at Hempstead House (soon to be featured in Grace Ormonde Wedding Style Magazine) !
Do you have a favorite “unknown” venue?! Let me know! I’d LOVE to hear about it!
Cheers to your next event!